- Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2020 Subscription revenue grew 54% year-over-year
- SaaS Annual Recurring Revenue (“ARR”) grew 85% year-over-year
BOSTON, Oct. 20, 2020 — Duck Creek Technologies (NASDAQ: DCT), a provider of SaaS-delivered enterprise software to the property & casualty (“P&C”) insurance industry, today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended August 31, 2020.
“Duck Creek’s fourth quarter was an excellent finish to an incredible year for the company, highlighted by 54% growth in subscription revenue,” said Michael Jackowski, Duck Creek’s Chief Executive Officer. “During the quarter we signed eight Duck Creek OnDemand wins, with a healthy mix of new and existing customers and a number of multi-product wins. We believe we have established Duck Creek OnDemand, which is approaching $100 million in SaaS ARR, as the SaaS platform of choice for the global P&C insurance industry.”
Jackowski added, “The success of our recent IPO was the latest important milestone for Duck Creek. We are at an exciting time in our history with the global P&C insurance industry at what we believe is the early stages of a generational shift to cloud technologies for their core systems. We believe Duck Creek is well positioned to partner with the world’s leading carriers on this digital transformation, delivering significant value for our customers and shareholders.”
Fourth Quarter Fiscal Year 2020 Financial Highlights
- Total revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2020 was $58.3 million, an increase of 22% from the fourth quarter in fiscal year 2019. Subscription revenue was $24.6 million, an increase of 54%; services revenue was $23.3 million, an increase of 6%; license revenue was $4.5 million, an increase of 6%; and maintenance revenue was $5.9 million, an increase of 2%.
- GAAP loss from operations was $21.6 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2020, compared with a GAAP loss from operations of $2.4 million for the comparable period in fiscal year 2019.
- Non-GAAP income from operations was $2.2 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2020, compared with non-GAAP income from operations of $2.9 million for the comparable period in fiscal year 2019.
- GAAP net loss was $21.5 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2020, compared with a GAAP net loss of $2.8 million for the comparable period in fiscal year 2019.
- Non-GAAP net income was $2.3 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2020, compared with non-GAAP net income of $2.5 million for the comparable period in fiscal year 2019.
- GAAP net loss per share is not meaningful because it would only represent results for the 17-day period following our IPO. Non-GAAP net income per share was $0.02, based on basic weighted average shares outstanding of 129.3 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $3.0 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2020, compared with adjusted EBITDA of $3.6 million for the comparable period in fiscal year 2019.
Full Year Fiscal 2020 Financial Highlights
- Total revenue for the full year fiscal 2020 was $211.7 million, an increase of 24% from fiscal year 2019.
- Subscription revenue was $84.0 million, an increase of 50%; services revenue was $94.1 million, an increase of 21%; license revenue was $9.9 million, a decrease of 28%; and maintenance revenue was $23.7 million, which remained relatively flat.
- SaaS annual recurring revenue, or SaaS ARR, was $95.6 million as of August 31, 2020, an increase of 85% from fiscal year 2019.
- GAAP loss from operations was $28.7 million for the full year fiscal 2020, compared with a GAAP loss from operations of $14.2 million in fiscal year 2019.
- Non-GAAP income from operations was $8.6 million for the full year fiscal 2020, compared with non-GAAP income from operations of $4.4 million in fiscal year 2019.
- GAAP net loss was $29.9 million for the full year fiscal 2020, compared with a GAAP net loss of $16.9 million in fiscal year 2019.
- Non-GAAP net income was $7.3 million for the full year fiscal 2020, compared with non-GAAP net income of $1.7 million in fiscal year 2019.
- GAAP net loss per share is not meaningful because it would only represent results for the 17-day period following our IPO. Non-GAAP net income per share was $0.06, based on basic weighted average shares outstanding of 127.4 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $11.7 million for the full year fiscal 2020, compared with adjusted EBITDA of $6.8 million in fiscal year 2019.
- Duck Creek had $389.9 million in cash and cash equivalents at August 31, 2020. The Company generated $25.7 million in cash from operations and had free cash flow of $19.0 million in fiscal year 2020, compared with $14.8 million and $6.6 million, respectively, in fiscal year 2019.
The information presented above includes non-GAAP financial measures such as “non-GAAP income from operations,” “adjusted EBITDA,” “non-GAAP net income,” “non-GAAP net income per share,” and “free cash flow.” Refer to “Non-GAAP Financial Measures and Other Metrics” for a discussion of these measures and reconcilations of each non-GAAP financial measure to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure.
Duck Creek is issuing the following outlook for the first quarter of fiscal 2021 and full year of fiscal 2021 based on current expectations as of October 20, 2020:
|First Quarter Fiscal 2021||Full Year Fiscal 2021|
|Revenue||$55.0 million to $56.0 million||$244.0 million to $249.0 million|
|Subscription Revenue||$25.5 million to $26.0 million||$114.5 million to $116.5 million|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$0.0 million to $1.5 million||$3.0 million to $5.0 million|
|Non-GAAP Net Loss Per Share||$(0.01) to $0.00||$(0.04) to $(0.02)|
Conference Call Information
Duck Creek Technologies will host a conference call today, October 20, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) to discuss the Company’s financial results and business outlook. A live webcast of the call will be available on the “Investor Relations” page of the Company’s website at https://ir.duckcreek.com/. To access the call by phone, dial 1-833-570-1119 (domestic) or 1-914-987-7066 (international). A replay of this conference call will be available for a limited time at 1-855-859-2056 (domestic) or 1-404-537-3406 (international) using conference ID 3139619. A replay of the webcast will also be available for a limited time at https://ir.duckcreek.com/.
About Duck Creek Technologies
Duck Creek Technologies is a leading provider of core system solutions to the P&C and General insurance industry. By accessing Duck Creek OnDemand, the company’s enterprise Software-as-a-Service solution, insurance carriers are able to navigate uncertainty and capture market opportunities faster than their competitors. Duck Creek’s functionally-rich solutions are available on a standalone basis or as a full suite, and all are available via Duck Creek OnDemand.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release includes certain disclosures which contain “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. You can identify forward-looking statements because they contain words such as “expect,” “believe,” “target,” “project,” “goals,” “estimate,” “potential,” “predict,” “may,” “will,” “might,” “could,” “forecast,” “outlook” and variations of these terms or the negative of these terms and similar expressions. Forward-looking statements, including statements regarding Duck Creek’s expected outlook for first quarter fiscal 2021 and full year fiscal 2021, are based on Duck Creek’s current expectations and assumptions. Because forward-looking statements relate to the future, they are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that may differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements, which are neither statements of historical fact nor guarantees or assurances of future performance. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements will be set forth in Duck Creek’s recent Annual Report on Form 10-K that will be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission and any subsequent public filings. In particular, the following factors, among others, could cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements: the impact of pandemics, including the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, on U.S. and global economies, Duck Creek’s business and results and financial condition, its employees, demand for its products, sales and implementation cycles, and the health of its customers’ and partners’ businesses; Duck Creek’s history of losses; changes in Duck Creek’s product revenue mix as it continues to focus on sales of its SaaS solutions, which will cause fluctuations in its results of operations and cash flows between periods; Duck Creek’s reliance on orders and renewals from a relatively small number of customers for a substantial portion of its revenue, and the substantial negotiating leverage customers have in renewing and expanding their contracts for Duck Creek’s solutions; the success of Duck Creek’s growth strategy focused on SaaS solutions and its ability to develop or sell its solutions into new markets or further penetrate existing markets; Duck Creek’s ability to manage its expanding operations; intense competition in Duck Creek’s market; third parties may assert Duck Creek is infringing or violating their intellectual property rights; U.S. and global market and economic conditions, particularly adverse in the insurance industry; additional complexity, burdens and volatility in connection with Duck Creek’s international sales and operations; the length and variability of Duck Creek’s sales and implementation cycles; data breaches, unauthorized access to customer data or other disruptions of Duck Creek’s solutions; control of Duck Creek by its controlling shareholders and perceived conflicts of interests; and Duck Creek’s status as a “controlled company” within the meaning of the corporate governance standards of Nasdaq.
Any forward-looking statement in this release speaks only as of the date of this release. Duck Creek undertakes no obligation to publicly update or review any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise, except as may be required by any applicable laws.
Comparisons of results for current and any prior periods are not intended to express any future trends or indications of future performance unless expressed as such, and should only be viewed as historical data.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures and Other Metrics
This press release contains the following non-GAAP financial measures: non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP income from operations, adjusted EBITDA, non-GAAP net income, non-GAAP net income per share, and free cash flow. Adjusted EBITDA excludes provision for income taxes, other (income)/expense, interest expense, net, depreciation of property and equipment, amortization of intangible assets, share-based compensation expense, and change in fair value of contingent earnout liability. Non-GAAP gross margin excludes share-based compensation expense, amortization of intangible assets, and amortization of capitalized internal-use software. Non-GAAP income from operations excludes share-based compensation expense, amortization of intangible assets and change in fair value of contingent earnout liability. Free cash flow consists of net cash provided by operating activities less cash used for purchases of property and equipment and capitalized internal-use software. See below for a reconciliation of each non-GAAP financial measure to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure.
Other metrics include SaaS ARR and SaaS Net Dollar Retention, which are calculated for all SaaS continuing software services. Subscription revenue excluded from the calculations relate to one legacy contract for a service no longer offered separately by the Company. SaaS ARR is calculated by annualizing revenue recorded in the last month of the measurement period. SaaS Net Dollar Retention is a rate calculated by annualizing revenue recorded in the last month of the measurement period for those customers in place throughout the entire measurement period. We divide the result by annualized revenue from the month that is one year prior to the end of the measurement period, for all customers in place at the beginning of the measurement period.
The Company believes that these non-GAAP financial measures and other metrics provide useful information to management and investors regarding certain financial and business trends relating to Duck Creek’s financial condition and results of operations. The Company’s management uses these non-GAAP measures and other metrics to manage our business, make planning decisions, evaluate its performance and allocate resources. The Company believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures and other metrics help investors and analysts in comparing its results across reporting periods on a consistent basis by excluding items that the Company does not believe are indicative of its core operating performance. These non-GAAP financial measures have limitations as analytical tools and should not be considered in isolation from, or as a substitute for, the analysis of other GAAP financial measures, including net income and cash flows from operating activities.
These non-GAAP financial measures are not universally consistent calculations, limiting their usefulness as comparative measures. Other companies may calculate similarly titled financial measures differently than the Company does or may not calculate them at all. Additionally, these non-GAAP financial measures are not measurements of financial performance or liquidity under GAAP. In order to facilitate a clear understanding of its consolidated historical operating results, readers should examine the Company’s non-GAAP financial measures in conjunction with its historical GAAP financial information.
To the extent that the Company provides guidance on a non-GAAP basis, it does not provide reconciliations of such forward-looking non-GAAP measures to GAAP due to the inherent difficulty in forecasting and quantifying certain amounts that are necessary for such reconciliation, including adjustments that could be made for the charges reflected in the Company’s reconciliation of historic numbers, the amount of which, based on historical experience, could be significant.
617 624 3295
Sam A. Shay
Duck Creek Technologies
857 201 5784
Duck Creek Technologies, Inc. and Subsidiaries Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets (unaudited, in thousands) View here >